About the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University:
The Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University develops brave leaders who inspire growth in people, organizations and markets. Based just outside of Chicago, the school is a global leader in management education, renowned for its distinctive thought leadership and pioneering approach to learning. Kellogg offers an innovative portfolio of programs: four Full-Time MBA programs including the accelerated One-Year MBA and Two-Year MBA options, and joint degree programs with the engineering and law schools; a Part-Time MBA Program; the premier Executive MBA global network; and extensive non-degree Executive Education programs.
The Senior Financial Analyst will play a key role as a member of the financial reporting team within Kellogg’s Financial Planning and Analysis department. The incumbent will oversee a portfolio of multiple Kellogg units and will be responsible for providing the units with detailed budget data and collaborating with the units to develop regular performance forecasts. In partnership with other members of the reporting team, the Senior Financial Analyst will advance the quality, accuracy, and timeliness of consolidated data for decision-making by senior Kellogg leadership. Manages a university accounting-related area or program. Manages financial operations &/or analysis in support of area/unit's mission & in coordination with central offices such as HR, Budget, Financial Aid, Facilities, Purchasing, IT, Provost, etc. Reviews a portfolio of multiple schools/depts' financial operations comprised of work that involves some extremely difficult problems &/or decisions. Manages daily, monthly, quarterly and annual financial processes for the area or program. Applies industry and professional standards, interprets area policy and procedure, federal and state laws, granting agency guidelines, and other regulations (as applicable); recommends accounting policy for the university. Represents &/or guides business area on internal & external financial affairs by recommending alternatives & suggestions. Experience in the following areas:
- Accounting policy & procedure
- Bank and balance sheet acct
- Capital spending
- Chart &/or account coding
- Cost accounting
- Creating new accounts
- Endowment and gift accounting
- Financial Statements
- Journal &/or ledger
- Plant, debt & loan acct
- Risk accounting
- Transfer charges
- Wire transfers
- Serves a primary role in the development & implementation of annual budget including fiscal resource allocation of appropriated, discretionary, endowment & gift revenues & expenses.
- Manages budget & provides timely, accurate financial status for the current fiscal & future plan.
- Guides units of responsibility through university budgeting and forecasting processes, reviews budget and forecasting submissions.
- Reviews & reconciles actual expenses to budget per NU Audit guidelines.
- Approves funds reallocation within budget as necessary & appropriate.
Analysis, Statements & Reporting
- Measures individual net performance of all areas/units as well as consolidated area/unit income statement & balance sheet with the use of pre-defined analytical financial tools.
- Recommends changes to tools to improve analysis, forecasting, modeling & reporting & ultimately quality of financial information & analyses provided to management for planning, evaluating & controlling operations.
- Oversees monthly reconciliation & reports on current financial performance, impact on year-end forecast & opportunities & risks.
- Prepares area or program financial statements and regulatory reports.
- Prepares sections of the Kellogg’s annual financial report.
- Performs complex financial account reconciliations, statement analysis, and transaction research.
- Builds, maintains, and updates financial models and associated financial analysis.
- Provides optimal customer service and financial guidance to areas/units.
- Reviews status of related university unit accounts and processes; troubleshoots issues as needed.
- Identifies current & future resource planning & allocation issues & develops, leads, & supervises complex studies & analyses that will assist senior staff in reaching resource planning and allocation decisions.
- Processes & presents associated data & information through the application of sophisticated database, graphic & spreadsheet tools.
- Acts act as project manager for design and implementation of regulatory and system changes.
- Provides training and support to related university units or program participants.
- Performs other duties as assigned.