This position is responsible for oversight and direction of the National Main Street Center’s (NMSC) financial operations, organizational risk management, compliance and internal controls, analysis and reporting and maintenance of systems for accounting records. The work includes development of and utilization of forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analyses to provide insight into the organization’s operations and business plans, development of financial business plans and forecasts, and coordination of the development and monitoring of the NMSC budget.
The controller will be responsible for ensuring the timeliness, accuracy and usefulness of financial and management reporting for federal and state funders, foundations and the Board of Directors, will oversee the preparation of and communication of monthly and annual financial statements and will coordinate audits and proper filing of tax returns. The controller will be responsible for overseeing compliance with federal, state and local governmental regulations as well as funder rules and requirements.
The Controller will coordinate with National Trust (Trust) finance staff throughout the year, assess NMSC’s systems and identify the needs of the organization, and then design and implement any new systems or solutions deemed a better fit for NMSC than those currently utilized.
This position will work 75% time (approximately 26 hours/week), and is eligible for benefits.
This position reports to the President/CEO of NMSC, and will also engage the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors to develop short-, medium-, and long-term financial plans and projections. In addition, this position will supervise employees engaged in on-going finance operations and may supervise contract/consulting employees.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provides on-going financial control and reporting expertise to management of the NMSC.
- Works with the CEO on planning for sound financial management strategies, risk assessment and resolution of problems on an as needed basis.
- Responsible for effective cash management of NMSC’s operating funds.
- Directs all aspects of accounting operations including assisting in the hiring and training of staff, and supervision of staff.
- Provides direction to Business Manager with monitoring and problem analysis/resolution of NMSC’s programs’ financial activities as compared to budget.
- Maintains current knowledge of financial/accounting developments, external regulations and rulings from IRS, FASB, AICPA, OMB Circulars and federal agencies that pertain to the financial management of the NMSC’s operations, and implements appropriate changes to internal procedures to comply with such rulings and regulations. Ensures compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and applicable federal, state and local regulatory laws and rules for financial and tax reporting. .
- Directs internal auditing function and monitoring of NMSC’s financial assets. Designs and implements effective internal controls to prevent fraud, waste and abuse.
- Responsible for directing all aspects of financial accounting systems and reporting audits by outside organizations including the IRS, Audit Bureau of Circulations, state and federal agencies and public accounting firms in coordination with Trust financial staff. Responsible for review, design and implementation of such systems if deemed advantageous to separate from the Trust’s systems.
- Exercises managerial oversight for filing as a “foreign” corporation and charitable solicitor with all states, filing of reports and complying with requirements of regulatory agencies. Determines appropriate information to provide to not-for-profit rating organizations such as the Better Business Bureau, Charity Navigator, Guidestar and similar organizations.
- Represents the Main Street Center on the National Trust’s internal Retirement Committee.
- Provides managerial oversight for administrative responsibilities relating to all private, state and federal grants.
- Directs NMSC’s compliance to state and federal regulations which relate to grant administration.
- Directs all financial planning, operations and staffing of the accounting office, including oversight of cash receipts, accounts payable/receivable and endowment activities.
- Coordinates with the Trust on payroll process and related systems, evaluates needs of NMSC if different than Trust, and will be responsible for implementation of new systems if deemed necessary.
- Provides managerial oversight of all travel arrangements for NMSC staff and Trustees.
- Coordinates with Trust finance staff on generation and distribution of the monthly, computerized financial reports to staff.
- Provides managerial oversight for the procurement and contracting for goods and services with all outside individuals and organizations.
- Oversees NMSC’s compliance to federal regulations relating to procurement and contracting.
- Provides managerial oversight for membership department, including timely and accurate processing of cash receipts, lockbox receipts and changes to member and donor records.
- Provides managerial oversight for Field Services contracts/operations, ensuring that policies and procedures are evaluated, documented and followed.
- Provides managerial oversight for Main Street conference financial operations, including timely and accurate processing of registration.
- Provides oversight for constituent resources management (CRM) system for the Center, including directing process of upgrades and improvements as needed.
Under the direction of the CEO, helps direct the improvement and implementation of administrative policies and procedures as needed.