Senior State Tax Analyst - Florham Park, NJ-1601513
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world's leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best teamespecially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
We are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America's Best Employers in 2015. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens
The job exists to ensure that BASF and its affiliates are in compliance with all state taxing jurisdictions. The job is responsible for the timely and accurate filing of more than 200 tax returns and the remittance of more than $20M in state income taxes. The job requires expertise in income tax law in over 40 states, with the ability to significantly impact the amount of tax liability as legally determined. Additionally, the position provides the opportunity to work with internal and external partners in obtaining, managing and complying with various tax credits and incentives.
Business environment (market/external conditions/challenges the job faces on a regular basis):
The job requires an experienced, highly motivated, self-starter who has an attention to detail, yet is able to manage through the myriad of data to efficiently comply with taxing jurisdictions.
Level of Autonomy/Decision Making Responsibility:
- The individual will have a moderate degree of autonomy in preparing income tax filings and monitoring the tax compliance calendar. All major issues impacting the filing will require the approval of the direct manager, the Director or VP of Tax depending on the significance.
- The individual will have a moderate degree of autonomy in dealings with state tax officials and responding to internal and external correspondence. All major issues resulting in additional liability or refund will required the approval of the direct manager, the Director or VP of Tax depending on the significance.
Internal and external relationships (other than supervisor, what other positions does this job interact with and why):
- Other members of the Tax Department
- Colleagues in certain other functions such as Accounting, Legal, and Treasury.
- Colleagues at many of the sites in order to determine issues impacting state tax.
- Externally, the job interacts with Government Officials, Tax Organizations, and Consultants.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Bachelor's Degree is required. A concentration in Accounting, Finance, or Economics is a plus.
An advanced degree(s), (M.B.A., M.S. in Taxation) or certification (C.P.A.) is preferred
Microsoft Tools - Strong skillset in Excel
Must have tax compliance software experience (Vertex /Corptax)
ERP experience desired
Solid understanding of state and local income tax laws and regulations
Possess an understanding of tax credits and other state taxes
Self-motivated, with strong interpersonal, team and partnering skills
Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
Use discretion in handling confidential and sensitive tax information
Primary Location: US-NJ-Florham Park
Function: TAFI - Tax & Finance
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Organization: G-FLT/NT-Direct, Federal & International Taxes