Shift Supv - MDI-1603588
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world's leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best teamespecially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America's Best Employers in 2016. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
We Create Chemistry
We are seeking a Production Supervisor to join our Chemical Monomers group. The Chemical Monomers group offers a comprehensive portfolio of organic and inorganic basis materials and innovative specialties. With our monomers and basic polymers we create durable links - for the success of our customers worldwide.
The Chemical Monomers group has an opportunity for a Shift Supervisor in the MDI department located at the BASF Geismar, LA location.
Shift Supervisor, MDI (1603588)
You will supervise work activities of assigned Daily Operations Team (DOT) personnel engaged in operating the plant(s) within the cluster safely and reliably to produce products. Your primary focus of the supervisor is to maintain a safe and reliable plant and to develop the Operators that work in the cluster. You will report to the Production Supervisor.
Formula for Success: You Will
- Execute daily operating plans in conjunction with and under the supervision of the Production Supervisor.
- Direct Daily Operations Team personnel in observance of safe practices, labor relations, and good housekeeping, taking necessary corrective steps and instructing personnel as required
- Direct equipment and process adjustments based on previous shift activities, review of operator's and supervisor's logs, physical survey, and laboratory test results, and records all production and operational data in logs provided
- Supervise work activities of Daily Operations Team shift personnel, to include BASF direct and contractor, engaged in operating equipment and processes (i.e. chemical reactors, compression, distillation, filtration, absorption, etc.) using materials which are flammable, corrosive, hazardous, and toxic in nature to produce products
- Work with Daily Support Team in priority setting and equipment repairs; and for timeliness of equipment preparation for maintenance
- Direct activities of Daily Operations Team personnel in event of fires, explosion, and any other emergency in the plant until relieved
- Instruct and train new operators and keeps the shifts up to date on Management of Change issues and procedural revisions and required regulatory training
- Follow the BASF EEO and Affirmative Action policies and promotes their observance in performance of job duties
- Provide regular coaching/feedback to Daily Operations Team operators
- Direct/Supervise operations, shutdowns, and start-ups to prevent damage to equipment due to potentially flammable/toxic material
- Coordinate all repairs and equipment changeovers with Daily Support Team to minimize damage and costly repairs
- Lead safety of all Daily Operations Team members under area of supervision. All safety rules and regulations must be strictly enforced.
- Lead and document Accident Investigations for injuries, near misses and spills that occur on shift.
- Related duties as assigned.
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support youthe whole youin all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you'll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Ingredients for Success: What We Look For in You
- High School Diploma or equivalent with a minimum 5+ years of production operations experience in a chemical/petrochemical or other similar manufacturing industry is required.
- 2 years supervisory or equivalent experience preferred
- Strong Leadership Skills required to direct Operators to produce quality chemicals in a safe and cost effective manner
- Strong Coaching Skills required to develop Operators in the understanding of the chemical plant operation and to grow their understanding of technical and business issues
- Strong interpersonal skills are required to interface with Daily Operations Team (DOT), Daily Support Team (DST), Technical Engineering Services Team (TES), Lab, Technology Group, contractors, and outside vendors
- Strong technical problem solving skills to help in the resolution of problems in the different manufacturing areas that effect plant performance
- Board experience strongly preferred
- MDI manufacturing experience preferred
This position requires all candidates to either currently possess or obtain and maintain a TWIC (Transportation Worker Identification Credential) Card from the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Primary Location: US-LA-Geismar
Function: PROD - Production, Maintenance & Technicians
Job Type: Standard
Organization: N-CMN-Monomers NA