IP Counsel - Houston, TX-1604063
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world's leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best teamespecially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America's Best Employers in 2015. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens
As Intellectual Property (IP) Counsel, your primary responsibility is to provide timely, effective, and high quality legal support for a broad range of IP services in the field of biotechnology for BASF businesses. This role is located in Houston, TX.
Intellectual Property (IP) Counsel Houston, TX (1604063)
Formula for Success: You Will
Contract and Transactional Work:
- Provide legal support for negotiation and drafting of contracts dealing with intellectual property, including licensing, limited use sales, material transfer, technology transfer, experimental trials and testing, and research collaborations with both public and private sector institutions.
- Work with R&D and business unit leaders to ensure proper agreements are identified and put in place.
Building Patent Assets:
- Implement appropriate patent strategies for the protection of innovations.
- Work collaboratively with global patent team.
Other IP-Related Legal Work, handled directly and/or through management of outside counsel:
- Advise clients on intellectual property related legal aspects of day-to-day transactions.
- Patentability, validity, infringement, freedom-to-operate opinions.
- IP due diligence in support of acquisitions, divestitures, and other transactions.
- IP litigation support working in conjunction with litigation and global patent teams.
- IP training in coordination with other members of the BASF international patent and general legal teams.
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support youthe whole youin all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you'll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Ingredients for Success: What We Look For in You
- Juris Doctorate degree; license to practice within the U.S. in at least one state is required
- Minimum 8 years overall legal experience is required
- 3+ years of IP transactional work experience, including technology transfer; licensing; joint collaboration, development, acquisition and other complex agreements having a significant IP component; and IP due diligence associated therewith
- Experience in preparing freedom to operate opinions and assessments is required
- Ability to provide quality and timely work product with minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment
- Must convey strong business judgment and social skills in mediating between competing business interests are critical to this role
- Ability to listen to clients and finding a way to make it happen for them by being responsive are critical to this role
You May Also Have
- In-house counsel experience, preferred
- IP/technical background in one or more of plant science, molecular biology, or biotechnology, preferred
Primary Location: US-TX-Houston
Function: LEIN - Legal & Insurance
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Organization: G-FLN-Legal North America