Technical Service Specialist - Formulation Additives-1604116
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world's leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best teamespecially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America's Best Employers in 2015. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens
Across the world, more than 10,000 R&D professionals work in different specialties at around 70 research sites. Beyond our own cutting edge facilities and instrumentation, our scientists benefit from cooperative partnerships with more than 600 leading universities, research institutes and other companies. All sharing a common goal: to create chemistry for a sustainable future.
We are seeking a Technical Service Specialist, Formulation Additives Industrial & Automotive Coatings to support the overall success of the Dispersions & Resins business in North America. The position will be located in Southfield, MI.
The Dispersions & Resins business of BASF develops, produces and markets a range of high-quality resins, additives, colorants and polymer dispersions worldwide. These raw materials are used in formulations for coatings and paints, printing and packaging products, construction chemicals, adhesives, fiberbondings, nonwovens, and paper manufacturing. We are building the best team to support the growth and needs of our customers. With a comprehensive product portfolio and extensive knowledge of the industries we serve, our customers benefit from innovative and sustainable solutions to help them advance their formulations through chemistry. For further information about the Dispersions & Resins business in North America, please visit http://www.basf.us/dpsolutions
Technical Service Specialist, Formulation Additives Industrial & Automotive Coatings (1604116)
You will represent the "Formulation Additives" business of BASF Corp., providing technical service and technical sales support to industrial and automotive coatings accounts including: product presentation and selection, new product introductions, technical inquiries and troubleshooting. You will identify new opportunities and product needs and initiate new business support lab projects. You will plan, organize, lead, and compile the results of the lab projects in reports for presentation to customers. You will identify potential development programs and coordinate with R&D on potential new products concepts, providing expertise and observation to identify potential technical and market opportunities.
Formula for Success: You Will
- Apply your excellent problem solving and analytical skills to provide technical and industrial paint formulation support for new and existing products, achieving sales plans, providing sales tools, and supporting and training salesforce and customers.
- Employ your proven project management skills in planning, organizing, developing and performing customer lab projects while demonstrating excellent customer focus and orientation.
- Utilize your exceptional presentation and communication skills to present results to customers in formal written reports.
- Support marketing, sales, and account managers by providing product, customer, market, and industry information
- Work closely with regional and global R&D to take new product developments to commercialization
- Investigate new applications or new product opportunities
- Travel approximately 50% of your time.
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support youthe whole youin all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you'll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Ingredients for Success: What We Look For in You
- Bachelor's Degree in Chemistry, Engineering, or Scientific related field plus at least 10 years of relevant industry experience -OR- Master's Degree in Chemistry, Engineering, or Scientific related field plus at least 7 years of relevant industry experience -OR- PhD Degree in Chemistry, Engineering, or Scientific related field plus at least 5 years of relevant industry experience
- At least 5 years industrial and/or automotive coatings paint formulation experience
- Knowledgeable in water-based and solvent-based industrial and/or automotive coatings paint formulations
- Knowledgeable in acrylics, urethanes, and epoxy industrial and/or automotive coatings
- Familiarity with industrial and/or automotive coatings test protocols both for short-term and long-term product performance
- Formulation and application testing experience in metal coatings
- Fundamental knowledge and practical application of formulation additives products in industrial and/or automotive market segments
- Previous experience managing customer projects and relationships
Primary Location: US-MI-Southfield
Function: ENGI - Engineering & Technical Service
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Organization: N-EDN-Dispersions North America