EHS Specialist Sr I (RCRA) - Freeport, TX-1700596
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world's leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best teamespecially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America's Best Employers in 2015. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens
We are seeking a Senior EHS Specialist I (RCRA) to join our Freeport, TX Hub to ensure BASF sites in the Texas Hub comply with state and federal programs for RCRA, non-hazardous solid waste, and EPCRA 311, 312, and 313.
Senior EHS Specialist I (RCRA) (1700596) Freeport, TX
You will provide guidance and support to sites in the hub as the subject matter expert in these programs, and to act as coordinator for submittal of annual EPCRA Tier Two and SARA 313 Toxic Release Inventory (TRI) reports.
On a local level, this position oversees the Freeport, TX site RCRA permit and associated plans, and the on-site waste management program.
Formula for Success: You Will
- Consult on RCRA and waste related issues: Provide guidance and regulatory interpretations to compliance engineers, EHS Specialist, and managers at the Freeport site and the other sites in the Texas hub. Assist Pasadena CP site with RCRA permit renewal and modifications.
- Provide Reports and Plans: Compile, review, and organize data for submittal of the following reports for multiple sites: TX Annual Waste Summary, EPCRA Tier Two, SARA TRI, BASF Responsible Care, TX Pollution Prevention (P2). Prepare Best Management Practices (BMP) Plans, Spill Prevention Control & Countermeasures (SPCC) Plans and P2 Plans.
- Administer site waste management program: Review analytical data, review and sign waste profiles for off-site waste shipments, provide guidance and direction to the on-site waste contractor. Prepare and submit monthly hazardous waste fee calculations and check requests.
- Coordinate submittal of EPCRA Tier Two and SARA TRI reports by other hub sites. Provide guidance and assistance, review reports and provide comments/suggested edits.
- Audit prep/assist: Assist Freeport site operations during internal audits. Provide regulatory interpretations and information relative to compliance.
- Host personnel from regulating agencies (EPA and/or TCEQ) during audits of the RCRA/solid waste program. Ensure the Freeport site is providing documentation relative to the requirements. Interpret regulations associated with compliance. Assist other BASF sites in the hub during agency audits.
- Spill cleanup oversight: Review AIMS reports, assist operating units with clean up targets and goals, review analytical data to ensure spills are cleaned up to state standards, file reports with internal and external customers. Assist operation units by recommending outside consultant as needed. Evaluate proposals and reports provided by consultants. Assist Pasadena CP with remediation and assessment needs.
- Provide annual RCRA training to Compliance Engineers and EHS Specialist and train new Compliance Engineers in CE boot camps.
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support youthe whole youin all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you'll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Ingredients for Success: What We Look for in You
- BS degree in engineering, chemistry, environmental science, or related field with 5 years of environmental experience OR must have at least 10 years of environmental experience in lieu of degree.
- Experience with RCRA and State of Texas rules for managing industrial solid waste and hazardous waste, Tier Two and TRI reporting is required. Experience with RCRA permit renewals and modifications is preferred. Experience with the Texas Risk Reduction Program (TRRP) and with the Texas Underground Injection Well Program is desired.
- Thorough working knowledge of RCRA, EPCRA 311, 312, and 313, and State of Texas solid waste regulations and the ability to interpret regulations and provide guidance on applicability and practical application of regulatory requirements.
- Interpersonal, problem solving, organizational skills are essential. Must be able to negotiate with internal and external customers. Must have written and oral skills so as to effectively communicate regulatory requirements.
- Should be able to interpret analytical data collected in order to characterize and profile waste streams for on-site and off-site treatment, storage, and disposal.
Primary Location: US-TX-Freeport
Function: OCSE - Occupational Safety & Environmental
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Organization: NCU-Environment, Health & Safety