We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
The Lab Technician provides support for site production activities by performing routine and non-routine testing of raw materials, semi-finished and finished products. Provides support for product shipping activities by analysis of shipments, generation of COA's and record keeping. Provides assistance to production groups as needed to assure product quality. The position requires accuracy and attention to detail in a fast paced 12-hour rotating shift environment.
The Laboratory Technician must complete all training requirements and meet the performance standards for the position. Training in site quality policy and quality systems is required. Additional training and work with lab instruments will be required. Strong knowledge of all routine laboratory procedures and test methods should be demonstrated. Strong knowledge of site products, specs and quality procedures will be acquired. Minimum on-the-job training time of 6 months will include reading and understanding tests, daily shadowing with an experienced lab techs finally followed by supervised ownership of designated shift. After that, once deemed proficient, the lab tech will essentially be responsible for all lab-related activities during their shift.
- Maintain safety awareness at all times and good housekeeping in all assigned work areas.
- Responsible for reporting unsafe laboratory equipment and conditions.
- Responsible for cleaning all glassware and general housekeeping of the lab in general and designated zones.
- Perform routine and non-routine testing of raw materials, semi-finished and finished products.
- Perform routine calculations and provide decisions for making process adjustments as required.
- Perform testing of product shipments and generate certificate of analysis for shipments.
- Performs non-routine testing of materials under the supervision of the QC manager or senior level Plant Techs.
- Communication with production and shipping departments on results of analytical test.
- Provides advice and assists the Production and Shipping Department when nonconforming product occurs. Assists the Production supervisor in determination of the cause of nonconforming product.
- Maintain records of analytical results and input of all test results to computer data systems (RTPS and SAP).
- File raw material and product batch paperwork.
- Preparation and testing of lab blends and approval of these blends.
- Responsible for standardization of all reagents used in the laboratory.
- Responsible for maintaining supply of solvents and safe disposal of wastes. Communicate need to order reagents and supplies. Responsible for unpacking and storing reagents and supplies when received.
- Responsible for ensuring that retains are obtained and stored properly.
- Responsible for safe disposal of in-process material, raw material and old retains as needed.
- Perform internal standard testing for maintenance & failure prevention of laboratory equipment and reagents.
- Provides relief for shift tech lost time as needed and requested by QC manager.
- Follows all applicable site policies in the performance of these duties.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Minimum of High School diploma plus related work experience required. Minimum of two years of site laboratory experience required with high school diploma. General chemistry training during high school and/or college preferred. Minimum of one year of site laboratory experience (or equivalent) required with Associate or higher degree in Chemistry or Chemical Technology. Prefer strong computer skills and proficiency with required BASF business software systems (SAP, RTPS, OSI PI, MS OUTLOOK, etc.).
Primary Location: US-SC-Mauldin
Function: QUMA - Quality Mgmt & Assurance
Job Type: Standard
Organization: N-EMN-Care Chemicals NA