Senior Lab Technician-1700558
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This position is expected to prepare a large variety of sample materials from various Business Units within BASF that have processes involving solid materials such as calcination, Precipitation/crystallization, Filtration, Drying, mixing, agglomeration, coating, milling and others. The individual should be comfortable with analytical and solid state chemistry, engineering principles, and in setting up, running and maintaining both lab and pilot scale equipment. The individual should display creative thinking and be able to provide detailed observation of experimental effects. The job requires the employee to work safely with a variety of chemicals with known hazard levels.
- Operate a wide variety of calcination and other solids lab equipment (furnaces, mills, sifters); assemble/construct new equipment, prepare or review job safety analyses and operating instructions.
- Precise and accurate preparation of solid and/or solid liquid mixtures according to stoichiometric requirements.
- Analyze samples for physical and chemical characteristics and provide summary to manager using Particle Size Analyzer, BET Surface Area, Titrations, etc.; generates data which is reliable from which correct conclusions and recommendations can be made.
- Records and communicates testing results.
- Assists in the proper training and development of laboratory technicians to ensure compliance with health, safety and environmental regulations and standards.
- Keep accurate, current records and logs; provide clearly written experimental observations and results for technical reports; provide data and documentation required for technical documents and patents.
- Resolves minor problems, adapting non-conforming samples to routine preparation and procedures
- Responsible for inventory management and preparation of shipping documents for sample shipments.
- Submission of samples for analytical testing and entering reported analytical results into proper database
- Participate in a functional team activity (safety, housekeeping, emergency responder, etc.); complete daily housekeeping of work area including proper storage and management of sample inventory.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
- BS in Chemistry/Material Science/Chemical Engineering with no experience or Associates degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or related science with a minimum of 3 years' experience working in a laboratory environment or a high school diploma with 5 years of laboratory experience.
- Excellent laboratory skills, including detailed record keeping and knowledge of safe handling of chemicals and equipment.
- Ability to solve a variety of mathematical problems, including accurate calculations for scale up work and variation in chemical components
- Demonstrated experience with instrumentation and analytical methods
- Proficiency in MS Office software required MS Excel required
- Basic understanding and strong personal focus on laboratory safety protocols
- Ability to handle multiple projects in a technical environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must be physically able to lift up to 55 lbs. and be willing to work with potential toxic and hazardous materials
Primary Location: US-OH-Beachwood
Function: REDE - Research & Development
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Organization: RCC-Heterogeneous Catalysis