Senior EHS Specialist - Orange, CA-1700613
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world's leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best teamespecially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America's Best Employers in 2016. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens
We are seeking an EHS (Environmental, Health and Safety) Specialist to join our Central Hub EHS team located in Orange, CA. You will report to the Central Hub Team Leader (located in Kankakee, IL) with a dotted line to the Orange site manager.
Under the hub structure, you will be responsible for other sites in the Central Hub primarily on the west coast of the United States including the Newark, Rancho Cucamonga & Buena Park CA sites in addition to the Hillsboro, OR site. You will also interact with EHS experts and professionals who support all of the BASF North American sites and businesses. In this shared services structure, you may also provide assistance at other BASF sites as the need arises.
The sites that you will be supporting are involved in varied businesses including the Polyurethane business in Orange, Ca with 32 BASF employees, the Construction Chemicals business in Newark, CA with 22 employees and the Microprocessor business in Hillsboro, Or with 5 BASF employees.
EHS Specialist (1700613) West Coast
You will have a solid working knowledge of occupational safety, industrial hygiene and environmental regulations. A general knowledge of process safety regulations and technology is also necessary as well as familiarity with emergency preparedness and response.
The primary purpose of your position is to develop and execute strategic and tactical EHS plans to increase risk recognition and reduce injuries/incidents, improve employee health, maintain environmental compliance, ensure safe design of plants, and prepare for emergencies.
The priority for expertise needs is:
- Occupational Safety
- Industrial Hygiene
- Environmental regulations and technology
- Process Safety
- Emergency Planning and Response
Formula for Success: You Will
- Lead Environmental, Health & Safety (EHS) programs (including industrial hygiene and process safety) at the Orange, CA site.
- Facilitate Environmental, Health & Safety (EHS) programs (including industrial hygiene and process safety) at other sites for which you are responsible.
- Advise site management of compliance concerns.
- Provide strategic direction on EHS matters to the site leadership teams.
- Coordinate and conduct exposure monitoring in accordance with the Industrial Hygiene Monitoring Plan, including recordkeeping, results interpretation, recommendation for controls and communication.
- Complete all internal and external EHS reporting.
- Participate in project reviews to identify EHS issues / opportunities.
- Facilitate the sharing of programs, procedures, tools, and successfully demonstrated practices with other EHS professionals.
- Participate on EHS Community work teams or task forces (i.e., inter/intra-Hub expertise and Communities of Practice) including acting as EHS Hub owner for assigned processes.
- Support the interface with regulatory agencies and third parties, as needed, on compliance and enforcement issues.
- Conduct periodic EHS inspections/audits of the facility to ensure compliance with requirements and adherence with EHS programs/standards.
- Support the development and implementation of EHS training programs for new and existing employees, including but not limited to Control of Hazardous Energy Lockout/Tagout, Confined Space, Hot Work, Fall Protection, Powered Industrial Trucks, Hazard Communication and Emergency Planning & Response.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Ingredients for Success: What We Look For in You
- BS degree in engineering, technical or science area strongly preferred. Candidates with other BS degrees will also be considered, if combined with excellent relevant experience and skills.
- 5 years or more of demonstrated experience in a manufacturing environment (preferably chemical manufacturing)
- Well rounded knowledge of Environmental, Health & Safety technology and regulations is required.
You May Also Have
- Professional certification Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), Certified Safety Professional (CSP), or Associate Safety Professional (ASP)
- CAL OSHA experience is preferred.
- Experience with emergency planning and response in a manufacturing setting
- Chemical manufacturing experience.
Primary Location: US-CA-Orange
Function: OCSE - Occupational Safety & Environmental
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Organization: NCU-Environment, Health & Safety