Finance Business Director (N-FFN) - Florham Park, NJ-1700683
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world's leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best teamespecially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
We are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America's Best Employers in 2016. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens
Finance Business Director will serve as the Finance leader of a Business Support Department.
Formula for success. You will.
- Provide Finance leadership for the assigned Business Units (Performance Chemicals, Care Chemicals, Nutrition and Dispersions and Pigments) in order to ensure their needs are understood, addressed, and a strong partnership maintained. This includes accounting and reporting results, financial oversight and leadership support at the related manufacturing sites. Strong emphasis will be placed on end-to-end processes and results for Business support while maintaining strong overall controls and integrity of the financial results.
- Ensure the businesses are supported by the Finance Center of Excellence and Finance Shared Service Center in order to provide and be accountable for end-to-end Financial Services and solutions.
- Collaborate with the Business management they support and BU Controller. Serve as a Member of the Global Finance Leadership team and supports activities of their teams aimed at connecting the businesses to the rest of the Global Finance organization.
- Support teams who serve as the Finance single main point of contact for the assigned Business Units.
- Provide key development for teams in skills ensuring these partnerships remain strong. Serve as a point of escalation as needed.
- Partner and provide matrix leadership to a finance competency team: Accountable for delivery and outputs of finance and accounting processes delivered as end-to-end service to specific BU segment or site.
- Lead a team of Finance Business Managers, Finance Business Analysts and/or Site Controllers providing direction, oversight and career development and ensure they provide analytics, insights and decision support to assigned Leadership. Ensure accurate accounting and finance analysis to inform effective business decisions by BU Leadership
- Provide proactive root cause analysis for BU's/Segments and partner with COE's to provide finance/accounting solutions to address and identify issues or opportunities.
- Counsel, advise, and provide insight of business unit needs to COE's (COE's provide to Shared Service Center)
- Be responsible for the Accounting ramifications of business decisions. Provide consultation to the Business teams proactively to support these key decisions.
Leadership Core Responsibilities:
- Coach and develop team members to reach their full potential
- Support development assignments and movement of talent across units
- Motivate and challenge to drive high performance
- Commit to "hiring the best" internally and externally
- Create an inclusive environment which embraces and derives value from diversity
- Execute performance and career development discussions
- Role model and enable development of competencies in others needed to implement BASF's strategy
- Establish and support a safety culture in which all accidents are preventable
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support youthe whole youin all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you'll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Ingredients for success. What we look for in you.
- Bachelor's Degree required; degree in Accounting, Finance or related discipline preferred
- Master's Degree preferred
- CPA/Certified Management Accountant certification preferred
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in financial business support and/or financial support of a manufacturing site required
- Minimum 5 years of experience leading and developing a large team required
- Minimum 3 years of work experience in a finance and/or accounting role required
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a continuous improvement environment focused on process standardization and related transitions required
- Minimum 3 years of managing and executing through a change management plan required
- Demonstrated experience in managing multiple stakeholder groups necessary
- Strong business and financial acumen to engage business leaders and teams
- Deep business knowledge in areas of competitive advantage
- Direct and Matrix leadership strong influence skills with the region
- Credibility and ability to manage finance employees
- Strong sense of accountability able to communicate with and influence others without position authority
- Ability to engage, operate and influence different cultures and styles
- Negotiation, influence and conflict management reach out and engage appropriate expertise to facilitate innovative solutions and problem solving.
- Ability to manage ambiguity and balance dual citizenship (Finance and the business)
- Knowledge, understanding of core financial processes and practices, particularly within the designated businesses.
Leadership Expectations: As a leader at BASF, you will play a key role in creating value for the company through people. Our top candidate will be expected to enable greater personal success among our employees through quality people development, coaching, and performance management. Leaders at BASF are role models to help employees develop the competencies needed to implement BASF's strategy. Our expectation is that leaders will coach and develop team members to reach their full potential, and support relevant development assignments, opportunities and moves while motivating and challenging employees to drive high performance. Our leaders must be committed to "hiring the best" internally and externally at the same time they are creating an inclusive environment which embraces and derives value from diversity. Finally, a leader at BASF must establish and support our safety culture in which all accidents are preventable.
Primary Location: US-NJ-Florham Park
Function: TAFI - Tax & Finance
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Organization: N-FFN Finance North America