We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world's leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best teamespecially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America's Best Employers in 2016. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens
BASF is the world's leading chemical company. Its portfolio ranges from chemicals, plastics, performance products and crop protection products to oil and gas. We combine economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility. Through science and innovation, we enable our customers in nearly every industry to meet the current and future needs of society. Our products and solutions contribute to conserving resources, ensuring nutrition and improving quality of life. We have summed up this contribution in our corporate purpose: We create chemistry for a sustainable future.
Maintenance Superintendent (1602375)
You will provide maintenance leadership and management to the execution teams for the Peekskill Site. You will lead and direct the activities of BASF and Contract employees for the safe, efficient, and effective execution of routine and outage maintenance which includes mechanical, instrument, and electrical maintenance, along with the work processes. You will ensure a culture of continuous improvement employing LEAN Manufacturing tools.
Formula for Success: You Will
- Lead the development of maintenance goals, ensure implementation, monitor effectiveness, and take necessary actions to meet overall business objectives.
- Set goals for staff, consistent with business and department needs, and hold them accountable for delivering results. Provide coaching and direction to ensure that they successfully meet individual objectives. Track Team Performance for success (KPIs / Metrics).
- Manage talent development and succession planning for staff, including team development and building/maintaining an engaged workforce.
- Coach staff and support mutually agreed upon development needs and training opportunities.
- Conduct job assignments considering developmental opportunities, train and coach so employees can be successful.
- Support the development of reliability targets, consistent with business needs, and recommend necessary actions to achieve committed results.
- Ensure that required capabilities, essential skills and precision work practices are maintained for all BASF and imbedded contract maintenance personnel.
- Manage personnel items including: performance reviews, compensation programs, discipline, conflict resolution, consistent enforcement of rules and policies, change management, on-boarding of new employees, and engage in effective and clear communication.
- Ensure all aspects of the maintenance execution work processes are being followed including notification, prioritization, planning, scheduling, execution, feedback, and reliability
- Ensure all routine and outage maintenance is executed in a safe, efficient, and effective manner.
- Manage the work execution of BASF and Contract employees. Ensure work execution productivity (Time on Tools) and first-time repair quality supporting optimized maintenance cost.
- Establish and monitor defined maintenance metrics and KPIs.
- Ensure the application of all safety rules, assuring Maintenance personnel are aware of and employing safe working practices and promoting safety programs and behaviors.
- Monitor accomplishments, validate, and report performance-to-plan in order to show trends and provide analyses with an emphasis on early performance indicators for the site.
- Identify continuous improvement opportunities to enhance the overall maintenance work process and improve cost effectiveness and efficiency. Share with other areas and communicate lessons learned. Ensure consistent, use of best practices within maintenance execution.
- Provide communication on status of maintenance activities to appropriate stakeholders via reports, and oral and written communications where and when appropriate.
- Ensure all master data in the CMMS is maintained.
- Develop and implement the maintenance strategy for the site, in partnership with technical maintenance leadership.
- Implement the reliability strategy for the site, in partnership with technical maintenance leadership.
- Monitor and help to identify continuous improvement opportunities to enhance the overall maintenance work process and improve cost effectiveness and efficiency.
- Define and deliver the required level of maintenance to the operating units working in conjunction with technical maintenance leadership.
- Recognize the need for and develop outside specialty services contractors.
- Understand, champion and implement LEAN activities via role modeling activities, sharing best practices and holding staff accountable.
- Develop and optimize maintenance execution, reliability, and work processes.
Leadership Core Responsibilities:
- Coach and develop team members to reach their full potential
- Support development assignments and movement of talent across units
- Motivate and challenge to drive high performance
- Commit to "hiring the best" internally and externally
- Create an inclusive environment which embraces and derives value from diversity
- Execute performance and career development discussions
- Role model and enable development of competencies in others needed to implement BASF's strategy
- Establish and support a safety culture in which all accidents are preventable
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support youthe whole youin all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you'll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Ingredients for Success: What We Look for in You
- BS degree in an Engineering discipline and a minimum of 5 years of manufacturing, maintenance and/or reliability experience or High School Diploma/GED and a minimum of 10 years of manufacturing, maintenance and/or reliability experience in a chemical/ petrochemical or other similar manufacturing operation is required.
- Working knowledge of functions and design of plant equipment, process and products; methods development and procedures; industrial and personnel administration; labor relations; repair maintenance of machinery and equipment.
- Ability to prepare, administer, and monitor departmental budgets.
- Ability to communicate effectively with facts and figures along with the ability to influence, persuade and negotiate. Strong interpersonal skills are required in this position.
- Working knowledge of high temperature and corrosive environments.
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse multiple stakeholders, including Production, Engineering, Maintenance, Procurement, Stores, Accounting, Project Engineers, Engineering Managers, Human Resources, Site Leadership Team, Manufacturing Support Services, etc.
- Ability to balance priorities across the site and situations within resource constraints, while preserving a maintenance and engineering perspective and intent.
- Ability to influence, motivate, and coach personnel and teams in a professional leadership role including the ability to support and affect change.
- Experience managing in a unionized facility is strongly preferred.
- Management or supervisory experience is required.
Leadership Expectations: As a leader at BASF, you will play a key role in creating value for the company through people. Our top candidate will be expected to enable greater personal success among our employees through quality people development, coaching, and performance management. Leaders at BASF are role models to help employees develop the competencies needed to implement BASF's strategy. Our expectation is that leaders will coach and develop team members to reach their full potential, and support relevant development assignments, opportunities and moves while motivating and challenging employees to drive high performance. Our leaders must be committed to "hiring the best" internally and externally at the same time they are creating an inclusive environment which embraces and derives value from diversity. Finally, a leader at BASF must establish and support our safety culture in which all accidents are preventable.
Primary Location: US-NY-Peekskill
Function: PROD - Production, Maintenance & Technicians
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job