Production Supervisor - Care Chemicals; Kankakee, IL-1701024
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
BASF is the world's leading chemical company: The Chemical Company. Its portfolio ranges from chemicals, plastics, performance products and crop protection products to oil and gas. We combine economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility. Through science and innovation, we enable our customers in nearly every industry to meet the current and future needs of society. Our products and solutions contribute to conserving resources, ensuring nutrition and improving quality of life. We have summed up this contribution in our corporate purpose: We create chemistry for a sustainable future.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world's leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best teamespecially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America's Best Employers in 2015. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens
Working in a fast paced, challenging, and dynamic environment, Production & Technical Services team members work together to ensure that production processes run smoothly in order meet customer demands. The Production team, which includes operators, technicians, supervisors, and specialists with varying backgrounds, ensures that our plants operate in a safe, efficient, and sustainable manner.
We are seeking a Production Supervisor, Care Chemicals, to join our Kankekee, IL team and manage the safe and efficient day-to-day operation of production area personnel through active engagement of employees via BASF's four strategic pillars: EHS, Quality, Cost of Capital, & People.
Production Supervisor, Care Chemicals (1700148) Kankekee, IL
You will ensure a minimal loss of time and material during each production campaign and work is completed safely, timely and effectively ensuring that the production schedule is achieved with minimum product quality variation from standards. Supervision also includes laboratory and maintenance personnel during off shift and weekend hours, as the production unit operates a continuous seven-day operation. All supervision is within the framework of a collective bargaining agreement.
This is a 12-hour rotating shift position that will include sharing responsibility with other Production Supervisors as the Incident Commander for the site.
Formula for Success: You Will
- Understands Responsible Care and Quality Policies performing job responsibilities safely by following documented work procedures and instructions, while keeping in mind the environmental impact of their decision making. Ensures the same within the department by actively working with employees on JSA creation and implementation, procedure reviews, Title V reporting, visual emission inspecting, and auditing & observing the process and employees for improvements.
- Contribute and adhere to safety, environmental, quality and EEO/AA standards of the Corporation, Division and site, by actively engaging employees in site Responsible Care and Journey to Excellence Team initiatives.
- Ensure all safety equipment available on plant floor is in good operating order and up to date through active management of equipment inspection program completion, including but not limited to fire suppression systems, eye wash and safety showers, etc.
- Lead daily tailgate meetings to review safety messages, communicate work assignments, review production status & priorities and attends the Daily Operations Team meetings.
- Maintain time and attendance program for hourly personnel to track hours worked, overtime, holidays, absences and other matters impacting Payroll and compliance with site attendance policy. This includes ensuring adequate staffing levels for upcoming shifts through the scheduling of vacation and overtime as appropriate.
- Ensure all operating procedures pertaining to their area of responsibility are followed by the operators. Deviations from any of these procedures shall be followed up and corrective actions implemented to ensure compliance at all times.
- Identify potential areas needing additional training by the operators, and follow up to ensure such training is provided in a timely manner. Verify the effectiveness of the training through routine employee evaluations.
- Through direct supervision of operators and indirectly by working through other groups, meet our established product quality targets. When nonconforming product is produced, proactively get involved in, and provide information for, root cause investigations.
- Ensure departmental procedures are current and accurate and that all direct reports have completed all necessary training and possess qualifications to perform the work assigned.
- Set/maintain high standard of housekeeping within the department, monitoring through documented housekeeping audits, making assignments as needed to address deficiencies, and ensuring all areas of the plant are covered via site Housekeeping Program.
- Review all daily operator production reports and inspection sheets for proper equipment operation and follows up with operators as necessary.
- Submit work notifications to address repairs, participating in the prioritization of maintenance needs and preparing accurate safe work permits and other permits as needed for Maintenance to complete the work safely.
- Submit complete and thorough written production logs documenting the activities of the shift to communicate issues with peers and all levels of the organization as appropriate on a timely basis. Completes daily production report detailing machine efficiency / downtime reporting for each unit operation in scope of position.
- Supervise daily safety issues in the department, documenting safety incidents through the Accident/Incident Management Program and manages all cases promptly and thoroughly.
- Comply with and report concerns with all applicable GMP's and the Food Safety Management System (FSMS) to site leadership. These personnel shall have authority to address concerns and implement appropriate corrective and/or preventive action to restore the FSMS to a compliant state.
Leadership Core Responsibilities:
- Coach and develop team members to reach their full potential
- Support development assignments and movement of talent across units
- Motivate and challenge to drive high performance
- Commit to "hiring the best" internally and externally
- Create an inclusive environment which embraces and derives value from diversity
- Execute performance and career development discussions
- Role model and enable development of competencies in others needed to implement BASF's strategy
- Establish and support a safety culture in which all accidents are preventable
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Ingredients for Success: What We Look for in You
- High School Diploma or GED required. Higher education is preferred. Minimum of 3 years in a manufacturing environment. Process knowledge and/or technical experience helpful but not required.
- Values EHS principles demonstrating personal accountability resulting in a Zero-Incident Mindset'.
- Leadership experience preferred. Process knowledge and/or first line supervisory experience is helpful.
- Strong interpersonal skills to establish effective relationships quickly
- Experience in working as part of a team with a strong technical aptitude.
- Possess solid communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Display initiative and a have a strong drive for results. Skillful in leading change
- Proficiency in a variety of computer applications including e-mail, inventory, production reporting and maintenance system (SAP), payroll systems (e-Time), word processing and spreadsheets.
Leadership Expectations: As a leader at BASF, you will play a key role in creating value for the company through people. Our top candidate will be expected to enable greater personal success among our employees through quality people development, coaching, and performance management. Leaders at BASF are role models to help employees develop the competencies needed to implement BASF's strategy. Our expectation is that leaders will coach and develop team members to reach their full potential, and support relevant development assignments, opportunities and moves while motivating and challenging employees to drive high performance. Our leaders must be committed to "hiring the best" internally and externally at the same time they are creating an inclusive environment which embraces and derives value from diversity. Finally, a leader at BASF must establish and support our safety culture in which all accidents are preventable.
Primary Location: US-IL-Kankakee
Function: PROD - Production, Maintenance & Technicians
Job Type: Standard
Organization: N-EMN-Care Chemicals NA