Sr. Lab Leader, Portland-1700892
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world's leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation. We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best teamespecially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development. We are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America's Best Employers in 2015. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future! Where the Chemistry Happens
The Chemical R&D Lab Manager will be part of the Electronic Chemicals team and will be based in Hillsboro, Oregon and support the overall success of the Dispersions & Resins business in North America.
BASF has been supplying electronic materials for more than 30 years. The experience we have earned and the chemical expertise we possess enables us to offer outstanding products and solutions to our customers. At BASF, we offer high purity and quality process chemicals and specialized solutions for semiconductors, flat panel displays, lighting such as LED as well as photovoltaics
The Dispersions & Resins business of BASF develops, produces and markets a range of high-quality resins, additives, colorants and polymer dispersions worldwide. These raw materials are used in formulations for coatings and paints, printing and packaging products, construction chemicals, adhesives, fiberbondings, nonwovens, and paper manufacturing. We are building the best team to support the growth and needs of our customers. With a comprehensive product portfolio and extensive knowledge of the industries we serve, our customers benefit from innovative and sustainable solutions to help them advance their formulations through chemistry. For further information about the Dispersions & Resins business in North America, please visit http://www.basf.us/dpsolutions
Reporting to the Business Manager, the Chemical R&D Lab Manager will be responsible for the management and conduction of all the lab and sample production related activities at the Hillsboro site. The site is dedicated to the manufacturing and delivery of R&D samples and carrying out application development lab activities for existing and potential customers.
- Plan and supervise all lab activities to prepare customer samples and ensure the quality and consistency of the samples/products.
- Monitor, review and implement detailed and accurate documentation processes for all product development and analytical activities and ensure the proper execution of Standard Operating Procedures.
- Ensure inventory of raw materials at the site are up to date and comply with occupancy B certification requirements. Control external and internal expenses.
- Participate on technical and organizational level in projects with local customers in global product development teams. Communicate relevant results, observed trends and aggregated experience.
- Ensure full implementation of Safety Program and Preventive Maintenance Program.
- Instruct and train new technicians/engineers and keeps the site up to date of Management of Change and SOP revisions and all required regulatory training.
- Conduct routine preventative maintenance on all analytical and lab equipment. Work with equipment vendor to repair, troubleshoot, and upgrade when required. Conduct investigations for the cause of any analytical excursions and irregularities
- Lead and document Accident Investigations for injuries, near misses and spills and ensures the Security functions complies with all local & federal laws and corporate initiatives.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
- PhD degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science or related field and 5 years of research/product development experience in chemistry, chemical engineering or semiconductor manufacturing related field required OR Master's degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science or related field with 8 years of research/product development experience in chemistry, chemical engineering or semiconductor manufacturing related field required
- 1 year of research experience in the area of colloidal chemistry and dispersions and/or surface chemistry preferred
- Effective communication skills to facilitate discussions with internal personnel as well as detailed and precise technical requirement, procedures and results in oral and written format.
- Management experience in directing, coordinating and managing team activities to accomplish highly technical tasks .
- Experienced in logistics and lab operations
Primary Location: US-OR-Portland
Function: REDE - Research & Development
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Organization: N-EDN-Dispersions North America