As a Director of Software Engineering you'll have a leading role in delivering market leading software that controls equipment around the world. You will need to provide exceptional leadership to 8-10 Software Engineering Managers who each manage their own teams of developers across the globe. This role will also require you to actively engage with the Test, QA, product management, customer support, product design, and UI function as well as the rest of the development organization to help your teams achieve greatness. You'll be responsible for maintaining and raising our engineering standards, improving Time to Market, driving adoption of new technologies and will be in a key position to lead the organization through rapid evolution. The software organization is responsible for new product design as well as maintenance and evolution of existing products. This position reports to the VP of Engineering for the Control & Visualization Business.
To qualify you will need to be experienced at leading teams of software engineers, as well as experience developing/coaching other managers. You'll need to bring excellent technical skills and knowledge as well as strong leadership, planning, and management abilities.
Lead the software engineering team through the entire development lifecycle including UI design and project management
Continuously look for ways to improve the overall practice of the engineering organization to increase throughout, improve quality, and reduce time to market
Actively engage with Test, Architecture, QA, product management, customer support, and the rest of the engineering organization
Successfully manage, motivate and retain members of the software engineering organization
Participate in strategic planning to define technical direction and reach both technical and business objectivesDrive key cross-functional process improvement initiatives within Engineering and with other organizations to effect overall increases in efficiency
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of 15 years of software engineering design experience including 7 years of project and/or line management experience in leading teams to deliver reliable software designs
- A Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related field. MS preferred.
- 2+ years' experience managing development methods and models such as Agile and Iterative.
- Knowledge of the Product Development Process and experience in developing and implementing product development processes.
- Demonstrated experience in software project management to include structuring of activities, estimation of time and costs, execution to plan, and management of risk preferred.
- 3+ years' experience managing large remote & virtual teams
- Experience leading global development teams in large scale system programs
- Leadership in progressive software development practice evaluation and analysis with the ability and desire to improve processes
- 2+ years' experience working with outsourced vendors and partners to build a collaborative network to impact areas beyond the development organization
- Ability to work collaboratively with other engineers and senior professionals across functions; and have strong influencing and leadership skills.
- Solid experience leading other leaders and motivating employees particularly in challenging environments
- Preferred location is Mayfield Heights (Cleveland), Ohio. Position may be located in Mission Viejo, California; Milwaukee, Wisconsin; or Phoenix, Arizona but travel of one week per month to Mayfield Heights, Ohio would be required. Another week of travel to one of the other US locations and/or Broussard, Canada or Dalian, China would likely be required every six weeks or so.
- Stays current in the state of the art technologies and talent
- Long term planner and creative short term executor
- Executive communication skills, both inward and outward
- Strong experience developing and presenting information to executive-level audiences
- Ability to deal with ambiguity in a fast-paced dynamic environment
- We're looking for people who are innovative, curious, adaptable and can get things done
Architecture and Software
Engineering and Technicians
Mayfield Heights - Ohio, Milwaukee - Wisconsin, Mission Viejo - California, Phoenix - Arizona
Rockwell Automation, the world's largest company dedicated to industrial automation, makes its customers more productive and the world more sustainable. Throughout the world, our flagship Allen-Bradley and Rockwell Software product brands are recognized for innovation and excellence.
When you choose Rockwell Automation, you join countless talented employees who have helped us establish our leadership position in the automation industry over the past century.
You join a diverse, inclusive and global community with a passion for innovation. A place where you can partner with great minds and inspiring people. And a corporation backed by the financial strength that drives growth and career opportunities.
As much as we focus on our customers, we know our employees are key to our success and future. Helping you develop a rewarding career is a top priority. Because when you succeed, we succeed.
Rockwell Automation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, email our Talent Acquisition representative at RAApplicationsupport@ra.rockwell.com.
Download the EEO is the Law poster and the supplement for more information.