Chemical Operator (Continuous Recruitment Requsition)-1700634
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
In 2016, BASF formed a global business unit to combine all of its pigments activities. With sales of about 1 billion in 2016 and 2,500 employees globally, BASF Colors & Effects holds a leading position in the pigments market, offering the broadest portfolio of products and technology. This new global business unit fully concentrates on the pigments business and is even more focused on supporting the needs of our pigments customers. Creating an organization fully dedicated to pigments has allowed BASF Colors & Effects to adapt better to the challenges in the pigments industry.
Our customers will benefit from tailored services and higher responsiveness. BASF's pigments business serves a variety of industries including paints & coatings, printing & packaging and plastics. We are building the best team in the industry to support the need of our customers in our chosen markets.
The Americas region of BASF Colors & Effects is headquartered in Southfield, Michigan. This region contains four pigment production sites:
- North Charleston, South Carolina
- Peekskill, New York
- Newport, Delaware
- Hartwell, Georgia
The Pigments GBU also operates several additional facilities across the globe.
Peekskill Chemical Operator
The Peekskill, NY Pigment manufacturing site is seeking candidates for the position of Chemical Operator. This position is responsible for mixing/blending of materials, operation of process equipment, material handling, instrument monitoring, record keeping, and forklift operation. Must follow all safety procedures and act in a safe manner at all times.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Efficiently operate equipment: adding materials at designated times and observing chemical reactions; monitor gauges, samples and recorders to ensure timely completion of quality batches per production schedule.
- Adjust controls and valves to maintain systems at specified temperature, pressure and speed.
- Maintain housekeeping at excellent levels, keeping the tanks, floor and reactor deck areas clean.
- Required to operate a forklift in a safe manner
- Wear necessary safety equipment and follow company established Safety, Health and Environmental policies and procedures.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Possess a valid Driver's License
- Be able to pass the BASF Pre-Employment tests
- Experience in a chemical plant or manufacturing environment is a plus.
- Possess intermediate computer skills (Use computerized process system, Internet, email, etc.)
- An understanding and awareness of chemicals and their nature, hazards, safety and health issues etc. (MSDS's, use of PPE etc.) is beneficial
- Physical strength is required to operate manual process equipment. Must meet lifting requirements (55 lbs.) and pass physical requirements.
- Must demonstrate ability to be self-directed working with minimal supervision
- Chemical Operators work a 12 hour shift on a 2,2,3 schedule 24/7
BASF is always growing our talent within the Chemical Operator community, and therefore, we have a need for continuous recruitment. We have posted this position in anticipation of future openings to pro-actively identify potential talent for our team.
Primary Location: US-NY-Peekskill
Function: PROD - Production, Maintenance & Technicians
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Night Job