The Director of Strategic Analytics and Insights works closely with the VP Strategy, Growth & Development to provide the system office and Ministry leadership with analytics, research and insights on strategic initiatives that are essential to meet system goals and standards. The director leads a team of analysts that use both internal and external databases and other resources to provide analyses that assist and inform strategy development, mergers, acquisitions and partnerships, service line planning, business development and decision making for complex business questions. The director assures that internal and external databases and business intelligence resources are up to date. The director presents and/or explains complex work to senior leadership in a concise and easy to understand format. The director also leads multi-functional teams that address market opportunities, ROI development, volume growth plans, capital and operating budgets, long-range financial plans, partnership and divestiture evaluations, market/environmental assessments and sales practices that enable Trinity Health to achieve its strategic and operating performance objectives.
1. Knows, understands, incorporates and demonstrates the mission, vision and values of Trinity Health in leadership behaviors, practices and decisions.
2. Leads a team of Research and Insights consultants and oversees day to day operations of the Analytics hub, which include request intake and efficient and effective resource management
3. Provides guidance in data collection, research, analysis and reporting that assist system office and health ministries in the development of strategies and business plans, market / environmental assessments, strategic financial analyses, medical staff development, sales practices, feasibility studies, competitor analyses and strategic decision making.
4. Oversees the gathering, analysis and summarization of demographic, market, financial, mapping, forecasting, claims data, physician relationship management software and other resources needed for strategic decision making:a. Proactively and upon request, researches and recommends appropriate data sources and advanced analytical methods to support the system's needs; b. Builds and oversees implementation of ongoing methods of profiling and monitoring market areas and product lines to identify demographic, competitor and health service trends and changes; c. Develops and utilizes advanced data science (e.g., statistical forecasting, Monte Carlo simulations), often used outside of healthcare, for use in developing plans and budgets that meet Trinity Health performance metrics; d. Builds and oversees implementation of processes, templates and delivery mechanisms for ongoing provision of data that support the RHM/NHM strategic, business and growth planning efforts; e. Synthesizes and interprets information to develop conclusions and recommendations that address strategic and operating performance objectives; f. Presents recommendations clearly and concisely to system office and Ministry senior teams.
5. Oversees maintenance and recommends external data sources and business intelligence needed to address the strategic needs of both the system office and the ministries. a. Sets objectives for quality control checks on data sets provided by vendors to assure quality and integrity of the data; b. Accountable for appropriate data elements, once obtained, are sorted, updated and accurately maintained for reporting/analysis across the system; c. Assists the VP, Strategy, Growth & Development with vendor contract negotiations.
6. Ensures departmental access and ongoing integrity of internal strategic databases.
7. Develops the System Portfolio Review which helps leadership to prioritize resources and position Ministries in a way that strengthens Trinity's portfolio and position us for future success.
8. Maintains an ongoing assessment of healthcare business and environmental trends across all health segments. Proactively identifies and communicates HM strategic and growth opportunities and strategic threats to appropriate Trinity Health and HM leadership.
9. Leads and coordinates the team in the development of financial/statistical forecasting models used for valuations, potential synergies and risk evaluations. Analyzes and understands potential transaction impact on capital capacity and other financial implications.
10. Determines the capital, operational and strategic needs of target acquisitions or divestitures as well as return metrics, both quantitative and qualitative.
11. Works with various functional areas in developing explanatory, analytical and financial information for various transactions to share with multiple constituencies (e.g. sponsoring organizations, Trinity Health Board, bond rating agencies, government agencies)
12. Leads the gathering of business intelligence and data analyses for ad hoc requests from HM planers, physician relationship leads and other internal and external customers to create high-quality concise reports/presentations. Uses the most appropriate, cost effective data to address customers' requests in a timely manner, integrating multiple analyses. Keeps customers informed on progress of projects, including any challenges as they arise.
13. Leads multi-functional teams that address market opportunities, ROI development, volume growth plans, capital and operating budgets, long-range financial plans, partnership and divestiture evaluations and sales practices that enable Trinity Health to achieve its operating performance objectives.
14. Provides direction and education to HM senior management in the development and use of strategic decision support, and business and strategic planning skills.
15. Maintains knowledge regarding key activities, initiatives and opportunities across Trinity Health in order to maximize the value of services to member organizations.
16. Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State and local laws/regulations; the Trinity Health Integrity and Compliance Program and Code of Conduct; as well as other policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical and professional behavior. LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES
As a Trinity Health Leader, the incumbent is expected to demonstrate leadership traits which support our Mission Statement and Core Values as identified below: Mission Statement: We, Trinity Health, serve together in the spirit of the Gospel as a compassionate and transforming healing presence within our communities. Core Values: • Reverence: We honor the sacredness and dignity of every person. • Commitment to Those who are Poor: We stand with and serve those who are poor, especially those most vulnerable. • Justice: We foster right relationships to promote the common good, including sustainability of Earth. • Stewardship: We honor our heritage and hold ourselves accountable for the human, financial and natural resources entrusted to our care. • Integrity: We are faithful to those we say we are.
1. Must possess a broad based knowledge of Business acumen and strategic growth analytics as normally obtained through completion of a bachelor's degree in Business or Health Administration, Data Science, or a related field and five to ten (5-10) years of management experience in local, regional, or national health systems or mid-level consulting with a primary focus on growth and strategy or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Master’s degree in Business or Health Administration, Data Science, or a related field is preferred.
2. Must have the ability to lead and coach others including HM CEOs, CFOs and SVPs. Must possess strong executive influence and negotiation skills and relationship management skills.
3. Must have the ongoing intellectual curiosity to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, technical procedures or government regulations. 4. Must possess strong written and verbal communication skills. Must have the ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedures as well as the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers and customers.
5. Must possess project management, analytical and quantitative skills. Must be comfortable prioritizing assignments and leading multiple complex projects concurrently in a fast-paced environment while meeting deadlines.
6. Must be able manage, mentor and develop direct reports.
7. Must possess advance problem solving, evaluative, planning and analytical skills and the ability to turn data into actionable information. Must be comfortable with statistical analysis and have experience working with financial and operational modeling and valuation.
8. Must be able to operate effectively in a collaborative, service-oriented, shared leadership environment with the System Office and Ministry leaders.
9. Must be proficient in the Microsoft Office applications, internet research and the use of spreadsheets, presentation graphics and database software with the ability to integrate multiple sources to create meaningful reports / presentations.
10. Preferred database management and programing experience with advanced applications such as SQL, Tableau, Power BI, and data automation / visualization. Must have the ability to quickly learn new programs. \
11. Must be self-motivated and can work with minimal supervision, utilize excellent judgement to make independent decisions, unflappable in the face of change, deadline-driven, team oriented, strong customer service and possess a proactive instinct.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS 1. Must be able to balance multiple high priority initiatives simultaneously that impact the System and Health Service Areas. 2. Must be able to travel to the various Trinity Health sites as needed (up to 20%).
Telecommuting is allowed.
Internal Number: 290544
About Trinity Health
Trinity Health is one of the largest multi-institutional Catholic health care delivery systems in the nation, serving diverse communities that include more than 30 million people across 22 states. Trinity Health includes 92 hospitals, as well as 100 continuing care locations that include PACE programs, senior living facilities, and home care and hospice services. Its continuing care programs provide nearly 2 million visits annually.
Based in Livonia, Mich., and with annual operating revenues of $18.8 billion and assets of $30.5 billion, the organization returns $1.3 billion to its communities annually in the form of charity care and other community benefit programs.
Trinity Health employs about 123,000 colleagues, including 6,800 employed physicians and clinicians. Committed to those who are poor and underserved in its communities, Trinity Health is known for its focus on the country's aging population. As a single, unified ministry, the organization is the innovator of Senior Emergency Departments, the largest not-for-profit provider of home health care services — ranked by number of visits — in the nation, as well as the nation’s leading provider of PACE (Program of All Inclusive Care for the Elderly) based on the number of available programs.